Manually Document a Returned Payment

In rare cases RentRedi is not able to update a tenant's charge when a payment fails. These steps allow tenants to resubmit payment.

Ryan Barone avatar
Written by Ryan Barone
Updated over a week ago

In the case of an ACH return, you will receive an email notifying you of the failed payment. In most cases, RentRedi automatically updates & creates a new charge for you so you do not have to do anything to allow the tenant to resubmit their payment.

However, in the case you received an email from RentRedi instructing you to manually create a new charge for the ACH Return, follow the instructions below!

Take the tour, and we'll walk you through it! ๐Ÿ˜„

Or, follow the instructions below! ๐Ÿ‘‡

  1. On your RentRedi dashboard, click Properties

  2. Select the unit where you need to update the charge

  3. Click Charges

  4. Select the charge that had the failed payment occur

  5. Select the specific payment that failed

  6. Enter a note such as "Insufficient Funds" to reflect that it failed

  7. Click Save

  8. Create a new, reverse payment by clicking Add Payment

  9. Enter the NEGATIVE amount of rent (to recharge the tenant) plus $1.50 (the chargeback fee)

  10. Add a note in the Notes section to indicate this is a charge due to an insufficient funds payment and a chargeback fee

  11. After filling out the rest of the details, click Create

  12. The Balance Remaining should reflect an accurate charge for the tenant

  13. Click Save

Please note: you can also follow the steps and tour in this help article to simply delete the payment, but the above instructions are better for accounting purposes.

Questions still? ย Click the blue button in the bottom right and message us. ย We'll help answer and then improve this. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Did this answer your question?